Power Academic and Performing Arts Complex serves students in Jackson Public Schools in grades 4-12. We are proud to provide students with advanced programs in academics and the arts. Power Elementary School was named in honor of John Logan Power. Mr. Power was born in 1834 in Tipperary, Ireland. He came to Jackson, Mississippi in 1854.
After the Civil War, John Power owned and published a Jackson newspaper called The Clarion. Later this paper was consolidated with the Brookhaven Ledger to form the newspaper now known as The Clarion Ledger. At the time of his death in 1901, John Power was serving his second term as the Secretary of State for the state of Mississippi. In 1916, an elementary school bearing Mr. Power’s name was erected at the corner of North State Street and Pinehurst. When the original building became unserviceable, a new school was built in 1954 at 1120 Riverside Drive in the Belhaven neighborhood. This building is currently occupied by Power APAC.
For over two decades, the Academic and Performing Arts Complex (APAC) of Jackson Public School District has been implementing and sustaining a vision that was developed in 1980. In 1981, APAC was begun with the aid of an Emergency School Aid Act (ESAA) Magnet Grant. The following mission statement was established in 1981 and remains in effect today:
The Academic and Performing Arts Complex seeks to provide excellence in art and academics by providing intensive training for academically talented students through the provision of a strong scholastic and specialty enrichment program.
Address: 1120 Riverside Dr, Jackson, MS 39202
Phone: (601) 960-5387